Funnily enough I’ve not been spending much time knitting lately. I find knitting harder to do in 5 or 10 minute bites and so I’ve been putting more effort into sewing lately. At the moment naptimes are inconsistent and the big kids are on school holidays for another two weeks. Once they go back to school there’ll be a block of time in the mornings where it’ll be just me and baby. While I’m not expecting miracles and there’ll be household stuff to do too I’m hoping that I’ll be better able to manage some knitting time then. (More sleep would help too.) In the meantime I feel like I have too many projects on the go.
I have a pair of sneaky socks. Sneaky because they are living upstairs and I’m squeezing in a few rows here and there. They are plain socks in yarn from Flying Tiger. A black yarn with bits of several colours through.
I’ve cast on a shawl, the Estuary shawl from Handmade in the UK by TinCanKnits. I’ve only just got started and hope this will be easier to make progress on once I get past the increase section and there is more repeating of pattern. I’m using Wollmeise yarn from EYF2016.
I’ve had a pair of gloves on the needles since April last year. I was making progress before we moved house and I got pregnant when complicated projects stalled. I haven’t made much progress recently but am trying to knit a few rows here and there. The cabling is fiddly and currently there is much looking at the charts. I’m working up through the thumb gusset now though so I’m slowly getting somewhere. The yarn is Cascade Heritage Silk in the denim colourway and the pattern is Glacier by Julia Mueller.
Sometime towards the end of last year I started a cowl for Wee Man out of handspun blue merino. The pattern is the Honey Cowl which I’ve used before for Hobbity-boo. I think I mostly got distracted from it because I was making baby things and then have not picked it back up. Hopefully I can manage to get it done for him for this winter.
Also on the needles are two long term blanket projects. The first is using up my leftover sock yarn. Each square takes about 9g so this is a slow process as I have lots of scraps to use up. I’m knitting centre-out squares with kfb increases. I don’t know how I’m going to join them together at the moment but while the squares are fun to do this is low priority so that’s a problem for another year.
The other blanket is an ongoing pile of Vivid squares. Vivid is a blanket pattern by TinCanKnits and I’m making the squares out of JC Rennie 4ply. I’ve 6 colours that were originally going to be a Fair Isle vest so I’m working through those getting 6 or 7 squares per ball (some yarn was lost in the frogging). I’ll have a reasonable idea of how much more yarn I’ll need to get a bedsized blanket once I’ve knitted the current yarn up. Squares are taking 7.5g so this would be a good use of miniballs.