Tag Archives: minerva crafts

Orange is his favourite

Shopping for trousers for the kids a few weeks ago Wee Man was very keen to get orange ones which we didn’t find. So when I was buying extra backing fabric for his dinosaur quilt I purchased a metre of orange twill to make him some trousers. They’ll be a bit big for a while yet so hopefully he doesn’t grow out of his orange obsession anytime soon.

The pattern is the Art museum trousers from Oliver and S and I’ve used it before in other sizes for both Wee Man and Hobbity-boo. I like that it has an elastic waist and faux fly as they look like proper trousers but are easy to get on and off. This pair are in size 3T. The bottom right photo is the closest to true colour – they are very bright and he’ll be hard to lose at the park in these trousers.

Art Museum Trousers by Oliver and S (3T) in orange twill from Minerva Crafts - little grey hedgehog

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Sewing, Wee Man

Messenger bag and accessories

I mentioned previously that my next sewing project was a messenger bag. This is the Organised Office Bag from The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam. This is the 4th bag I’ve made from this book and it’s a very good book for all aspects of bag making.

I like making bags and keep finding different reasons for why I need a different one. This one doesn’t really have a reason though the cross-body strap is more useful for carrying whilst also carrying a baby. I purchased the fabric from Minerva Crafts. The outer grey is a printed canvas and the inside a quilting poplin. I love the butterflies in all their rainbow glory. I purchased a metre of each fabric and had enough leftover to make a clutch (Noodle-head again), a card wallet, a project bag and a dpn holder. I had one hiccup in making the bag. The flap pieces and the body pieces are very similar and I attached the pockets to the flap instead of the body. I was able to unpick and move the bottle pocket and the pen holders but the zip pocket requires cutting the fabric to insert it so that one is still in the flap rather than the bag body. It’s only a small pocket and I suspect I’ll use it infrequently so probably not a disaster. There is lots of interfacing in the bag – you can see that it stands on it’s own, which has made it nice and sturdy and it’s big enough to put my laptop in as well should that be needed.

Messenger bag from the Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam and various accessories, fabric from Minerva Crafts - little grey hedgehog

Next up (depending on incoming baby’s timing) is sewing some summer clothes for the Hobbit as she doesn’t have much that fits from last year. As she’s in uniform most days until the end of June I hope I’ll be able to get somethings done in time.

Leave a comment

Filed under Sewing

FO: Dotty Angel Dress

I liked this pattern (Simplicity 1080) when I first saw it and bought it as soon as it was available in the UK. It took me a long time to settle on fabric to use for it and I ended up choosing this chambray with cream flowers. I decided on matching pockets rather than a contrast and there was enough fabric from the original pattern requirements to cut them out. I had planned to use a matching bias binding as pocket trim (cream or chambray) but ended up deciding on this flowery one instead. I also used the flowery one on the hem but used chambray binding on the armholes, shoulders and neck.

I didn’t bother to cut out the pattern piece for the ties and just cut strips of fabric at approximately the right width. I originally placed the bust tucks at the location the pattern indicates. However when I tried it on (after stitching the shoulder seams) I felt that they didn’t sit where I wanted them and moved them down. I started the new markings at the bottom of the original ones. The pattern (and this is seen in the pattern picture) has you make the tucks essentially on top of the bust. For a more fitted garment having them sit under the bust brings the dress in where an empire line would sit.

The other modification I made was to stitch the pocket bindings onto the fabric with one side folded out before folding it out and top-stitching it to the dress. I top-stitched two lines, one on the inside of the binding and one on the outside edge.

Overall the dress is simple but well finished. All the seams/edges are finished with bias binding except for the side seams which are French seams. Despite all that it was still a quick sew and I used less than 100m of thread.

I’m happy with the resulting dress and would make it again. I do need to actually wear it some before I need more in my wardrobe but I’m hopeful I will.

 Dotty Angel Dress, Simplicity 1080, chambray from Minerva Crafts - little grey hedgehog

2 Comments

Filed under Sewing

FO: Hollyburn in blue

I finished my second Hollyburn skirt last week. This time I have lined it as the linen look cotton felt a bit thin. I worked the same size as last time but have chosen the skirt length C. Last time I had to cut off quite a bit of length before hemming so I’m trying the shorter length with a teeny tiny hem to hopefully be a similar length. How I feel wearing this one will determine which length I make next time as I’m already planning a lined purple linen one. The fabric is linen-look cotton in Navy from Minerva Crafts

Hollyburn skirt by Sewaholic in linen look cotton - little grey hedgehog

Next on the sewing machine is a Dotty Angel dress in Chambray.

Leave a comment

Filed under Sewing