I received a pair of gradient sock yarns as part of a Christmas swap early this year. I’ve knitted them up into a plain pair of socks, working on both socks at the same time on separate sets of double points. I alternated by always picking up the shorter sock. The pattern is just my plain sock pattern worked out for my feet. I really wanted to use all the yarn but didn’t quite make it – there’s just enough leftover for a blanket square but the socks are plenty long enough. The yarn was lovely to work with and I’d definitely use it again given the opportunity.
Pattern: My plain toe-up socks
Yarn: coriand3r knits sw merino/nylon sock – gradient ~90g
Another baby blanket finished, now I’m wondering how many I’ve made in total as this is the 4th this year.
This is another centre out pattern crocheted from a single large cake of yarn. The pattern is written for slightly less yarn than I had so I added a few extra rows and also edged it in a row of single crochet rather than working the puff edging as in the pattern. It came out rather big but is also nice and airy so should do well even layered up.
Pattern: Cloudberry by Johanna Lindahl
Yarn: Rico Design Creative Wool Dégradé in Ecru (200g)
Ravelry Page: here
Modifications: Added some extra rows to use up more of the yarn then replaced the edging row with a row of sc with a ch1 at the corners.
After finishing my baby knitting I cast on a just for fun item.
I purchased this cake of gradient yarn from Bilum Yarns at the 2016 Edinburgh Yarn Festival. It’s perfect colours (green through blue to purple) with bonus sparkle. I had 100g of a fingering weight yarn and went looking for lacy shawls to use it on. I settled on Fragile Heart by BooKnits. The pattern is written for laceweight yarn but fingering has worked just as well. The shawl starts from the centre top and increases out to a crescent. There are variations in the pattern to work either entirely in lace or with a garter or stockinette section at the top. I worked entirely in lace but without beads, working 4.5 repeats of the body lace before starting the border charts. I don’t know that I’d would have had enough yarn to work another repeat on the body but I did add some additional rows to the end of the border lace to get all the way to the purple. I started with the picot cast off but (and this has happened before) I didn’t much like the look of the picots so tinked back and used Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bindoff instead. It blocked out super well and I’m thrilled with the result.