Wee Man is getting a big bed soon and so needs a big bed quilt to go with it. I found dinosaur fat quarters at hobbycraft around a year ago and picked up two packs of 6 to use for his quilt. I’d already acquired wadding and white fabric when I was purchasing for Hobbity-boo’s quilt a couple of years ago. It turned out that I needed more fabric to complete the backing so I had to buy another metre of extra wide stuff and join in together. There were a few bits of the fat quarters leftover after piecing the top that I used in a strip down the middle of the back at the join.
This is a simple quilt, 9 rectangles in each stripe with white in between and quilting in the ditch along the stripes and then straight down through the white stripes between the patterned rectangles. The binding is machine attached and handsewn down.
I made Hobbity-Boo a stocking for her first Christmas, and then one for Wee Man for his. Husband and I have had bought ones for a long time but when I pulled them out with the tree decorations this year I found my felt one had several holes in it. As I’d always planned on us having matching (in size anyway) ones eventually this then became the year to make new ones. I couldn’t find the paper piece I’d used previously so traced around one of the kids ones and added seam allowances to make a new one. Each stocking is made of two fat quarters – I had fun picking them out so that we’d be able to tell who’s was who’s as they are unlabelled.
(Apologies for bad photos the lighting is kind of terrible at the moment)
Snowmen for husband (it has penguins in scarves on the inside), snowflakes for me and the green star on is for baby number three who is due in April so won’t get used this year but will be waiting with the rest next time.
I’ve been procrastinating posting as it feels like to much effort to get the photos in order to post. So this is going to be a post about what I’m up to without any photos.
After finishing my hat I started a shawl from my handspun shetland and silk that I finished at the very beginning of last year. It’s been sitting waiting for me to get around to it for quite a while but other projects have taken priority. It’s a garter stitch crescent/curve shawl and it’s going to have a few eyelet rows and hopefully (assuming I leave enough yarn) a picot bindoff. There are 3 balls of yarn and I’m planning to work through the first 2 before starting the eyelet section.
Also on the needles is the beginning of a Vivid blanket using the J C Rennie yarn I was using in my Ivy League Vest. The vest has been hibernating for 18 months or more now and it needed to be finished or frogged. My tastes have change and I was no longer keen on the finished product so it’s been frogged. There are 6 skeins of yarn (50g each of 4ply) so I made need a few more to make a good sized blanket. The time it takes to do a single square means that this is probably a long term project.
The two pairs of socks on my needles haven’t been touched for a while. I should really get one pair finished this month though or I’m never going to get every thing done.
Next up is a Hap Blanket for a cousin’s baby which will again be done in Cascade 220 Superwash, this time in Lake Chelan Heather and as part of the Knit British hapalong starting on Friday.
Sewing wise I’ve finished my fleece coat – even worn it out of the house but haven’t processed the photos yet. It fits better than I was expecting from a try on halfway through so that bodes well for making a more exciting version in the autumn. Next up is a twinsized quilt for the Hobbit. She’ll be moving up to a new bed soon (she’s still in her cot with the side off at the moment) and so needs a new blanket/quilt for the top. I bought two packs of fat quarters that are in theory the same colours (in reality the dyelots are different on 5 of the 6 patterns) and will be matching those with some white sashing, backing and binding. I’ve cut all the squares – 5.5″ and will be making 9-patch squares out of those before adding 5″ sashing between them 3 x 4 9-patch squares. I’ve ordered the fabric and batting today so that’ll be here soon and in the meantime I need to piece the 9-patches. The fat-quarter packs are from Hobbycraft in the Jade Patchwork colourway and have blue-greens and pinks in different patterns. After that’s done I’m not sure what’s next – I’ve clothes I want to make (for me and the kids) but no fabric yet so need to make some plans.
I did mean to post about my yearly goals/resolutions at the end of March but haven’t really thought about it – maybe this week or maybe at the end of April instead.