Another baby blanket finished, now I’m wondering how many I’ve made in total as this is the 4th this year.
This is another centre out pattern crocheted from a single large cake of yarn. The pattern is written for slightly less yarn than I had so I added a few extra rows and also edged it in a row of single crochet rather than working the puff edging as in the pattern. It came out rather big but is also nice and airy so should do well even layered up.
Pattern: Cloudberry by Johanna Lindahl
Yarn: Rico Design Creative Wool Dégradé in Ecru (200g)
Ravelry Page: here
Modifications: Added some extra rows to use up more of the yarn then replaced the edging row with a row of sc with a ch1 at the corners.
I’m in the middle of making another couple of baby blankets for gifts. This is the first one crocheted out of Wendy Evolution. The yarn comes in a handy box with the central end threaded through an eyelet – no worries about tangles here. The yarn is made of four threads and changes colour by changing one thread at a time. The yarn is half cotton and was nice to work with and not hard on the hands as some cotton can be (the acrylic probably helps with that). I went hunting for in the round crochet blankets and found Raspberry Road which was written for a different gradient cake yarn so I had to make the blanket a little smaller as I had less yarn available. The pattern contains Jacob’s Ladders which I hadn’t encountered before but they were fun to ‘zip up’ and bring the blanket together. I would use this pattern and yarn again.
Pattern: Raspberry Road Blanket by Kirsten Ballering
Yarn: Wendy Evolution in Sunrise (150g) purchased at Wool Warehouse
Ravelry page: here
Modifications: Worked row 26 then skipped to row 37 and 38 due to less yarn.
After finishing my Cadeautje Slippers I went looking for my next project. My yarn lives in project bags and I add patterns etc to them as I get closer to using them. In theory this means I should be able to just grab a bag a go but because I can’t see what’s in the bags I tend to have to hunt through them a bit to find what I was after. I was looking for the yarn I had for brioche hat but on the way found two balls of fingering yarn I had purchased intending on making a jumper for Pixie before she was born. Clearly I didn’t actually manage that and as she is getting bigger I thought I had better get on with that jumper before she was too big to fit in one made of 100g of yarn.
I restricted my search to patterns I already own and the yarn I had and came up with TinCanKnits Raindrops pattern. The 1-2y size used exactly the amount of yardage I had (but does have a 3/4 sleeve option) and seemed like it would fit Pixie both now (a bit big) and in autumn (hopefully just right). The sweater is worked from the top down with increases worked into the eyelet patterning on the yoke. It was a quick knit and I was carefully weighing my yarn on the sleeves a week after starting. I ended up with just the right amount to get full length sleeves and still had a couple of metres leftover. I really like how it came out and hope that Pixie likes wearing it too.
Pattern: Raindrops by TinCanKnits (1-2y)
Yarn: SMC Extra Soft Merino Fino in 5488 Blue, 100g (350m)
Needles: 2.25mm and 3.25mm
Ravelry Page: here
We got caught by sickness bugs again, Wee Man had a cough then Pixie had a cold followed by a Husband with tonsillitis. But we are on school holidays now and nobody seems to be sick (today at least) and despite it snowing again yesterday today we have lovely sunshine.
I made rapid progress through the second Marley blanket thanks in part to sizing up the needles a bit. I’m happier with the size of this one and the fabric is still a good gauge. This is otherwise pretty similar to the previous version. I didn’t get as many repeats in each section but due to the gauge change the blanket is a bit bigger any way. It’s waiting now until the baby it’s intended for is a bit closer to arrival.
I’ve now turned my attention to my sneaky socks – they’d stopped getting any attention hiding away upstairs and I’d like to get them off the needles and onto my feet. I’ve turned the first heel in the last 24 hours so making progress, hopefully it will continue as next I get to cast on something new.
Pattern: Marley by TinCanKnits
Yarn: Stylecraft Batik Swirl in Blue Ocean
Modifications: I wanted a squarer blanket than the pattern is written for so worked extra repeats of the increase sections, weighed my yarn then worked straight repeats until I had only enough yarn left to complete the decrease section.
Ravelry page: here
There were two whole days of spring in a row at the beginning of the week so I hunted down the kids sunhats. Hobbit’s still fits, Wee Man’s is snug but will do for a bit longer and I couldn’t find the one that should fit the Pixie. Oliver and S bucket hat pattern and leftover fabric to the rescue.
Pattern: Oliver and S bucket hat (free download) in size S (she’s measuring 18.5″)
Fabric: leftover purple and polka dots
Modifications: I stitch together two hats then join them leaving a gap at the brim. Turn them in the right way then topstitch the brim.
Filed under Pixie, Sewing
This project was started in late 2016 with the intention of having it knit for Wee Man for that winter. It didn’t happen partly due to pregnancy and partly due to slow progress because of the pattern stitch. It’s been waiting for me and I decided rather than slogging through it I would aim for a quick win and work the rest of the cowl in plain stockinette. Three days later and it was all done.
Pattern: Honey Cowl by Antonia Shankland for 3 inches then straight stockinette
Yarn: my handspun from blue merino fibre
Ravelry page: here