FO: Dotty Angel Dress

I liked this pattern (Simplicity 1080) when I first saw it and bought it as soon as it was available in the UK. It took me a long time to settle on fabric to use for it and I ended up choosing this chambray with cream flowers. I decided on matching pockets rather than a contrast and there was enough fabric from the original pattern requirements to cut them out. I had planned to use a matching bias binding as pocket trim (cream or chambray) but ended up deciding on this flowery one instead. I also used the flowery one on the hem but used chambray binding on the armholes, shoulders and neck.

I didn’t bother to cut out the pattern piece for the ties and just cut strips of fabric at approximately the right width. I originally placed the bust tucks at the location the pattern indicates. However when I tried it on (after stitching the shoulder seams) I felt that they didn’t sit where I wanted them and moved them down. I started the new markings at the bottom of the original ones. The pattern (and this is seen in the pattern picture) has you make the tucks essentially on top of the bust. For a more fitted garment having them sit under the bust brings the dress in where an empire line would sit.

The other modification I made was to stitch the pocket bindings onto the fabric with one side folded out before folding it out and top-stitching it to the dress. I top-stitched two lines, one on the inside of the binding and one on the outside edge.

Overall the dress is simple but well finished. All the seams/edges are finished with bias binding except for the side seams which are French seams. Despite all that it was still a quick sew and I used less than 100m of thread.

I’m happy with the resulting dress and would make it again. I do need to actually wear it some before I need more in my wardrobe but I’m hopeful I will.

 Dotty Angel Dress, Simplicity 1080, chambray from Minerva Crafts - little grey hedgehog

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under Sewing

2 responses to “FO: Dotty Angel Dress

  1. Nice! I moved my ties down about two or three inches too, far better fit. Also had to seam the underarms up further than indicated.

    Liked by 1 person

    • littlegreyhedgehog

      At the moment I’ll have to where something underneath or I’ll be showing off my bra at the armholes. Will see how it wears before making any changes. I’m worried it’ll be hard to get on and off if I make them too much smaller.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s