FO: a top for me; a dress for Hobbit

I finally finished the first of the two tops I got started with before the Wee Man was born. It was a struggle though not because the pattern was hard to follow. It was a lot more involved than many tops with lots of pieces and lots of gathering but mostly I’m just having a hard time making things for me at the moment. I’m not really happy with my current body shape but the wee nursling means I’m starving all the time and tiredness is not really helping the motivation. I bribed myself into finishing it by cutting fabric for a dress for Hobbit but not sewing it til my top was done.

Pattern: New Look 6150 B

Sewn for: Me

Fabric: Lightweight Single Jersey Cotton from Vend Fabrics in Royal Blue

Thread: Gutermann

Any problems/changes: Took a bit to work out some of the directions but not to bad. My wrap is one the opposite side as I had the front pattern pieces up the wrong way (or on the wrong side of the fabric) when cutting.


Hobbit’s dress is made from leftover fabric from pants I made for Wee Man when he was still Squishy. In theory I have enough of the black fabric to make her another one too (with a couple of improvements). I followed directions for the Katy Dress from Craftiness Is Not Optional but modified it to fit my fabric. The t-shirt I used ass a base pattern is one of her size 2-4 short sleeved ones from H&M. It was pretty simple to put together and would have been done faster if I hadn’t sewn the skirt and bodice together the wrong way round first go. She’s been wearing it (but I haven’t any photos) and it seems to be a good casual dress and is big enough to last a while.

Pattern: Katy Dress

Sewn for: Hobbit

Fabric: Cotton Interlock Jersey from Vend Fabrics in dark grey

Size: 3ish (t-shirt was 2-4yrs)

Thread: Gutermann 93 (dark grey)

Any problems/changes: Didn’t have enough fabric for long sleeves (though could have if I’d shortened the skirt prior to cutting out rather than when I tried it on her at the end), fabric is tubular so didn’t need side seams in the skirt, neck band was a little long so it doesn’t sit quite right. but I like the method.



Leave a comment

Filed under Hobbit, Sewing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s